How Not To Do It

 This morning, instead of joining another parish's online worship, I decided instead to continue to use the same simple Benedictine liturgy that I've been using all week.
I settled into my prayer space; composed myself; and readied myself to pray. I had already decided to do as I did yesterday - to pray the opening prayer and to then settle into an extended period of silence.

The opening prayer did its work,

Grant, O Lord,
may turn one soul from thee; and, ever daring, yet one more grace would I implore,
that many souls this day, because of me, may love thee more. Amen.

 

I sat, palms up, eyes closed.



Like yesterday, I found some time in, that my mind was crowded with thoughts and concerns, but like yesterday, I managed to bat them away. I tried to bring myself some focus by saying the words of the Jesus Prayer.

Then came the same ringing/whistling in my ears that seemed to act as an announcement yesterday. I eagerly awaited the sheer silence...

And then my phone buzzed. And I was dragged immediately back to the present moment.



I mention all of this because I failed to prepare the space adequately.

I have a prayer space, a sacred space, set up in my study.  Everything I need is there ready and prepared. What I failed to do today was prepare myself and to ensure that I had limited distractions so I could give myself to the task ahead.

Keeping silence is is a choice, but in this very noisy world, I need to choose to keep it, by silencing the tech next time.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day Four - Silence and Wellbeing

The Work of Silence - An Act of Rebellion

The Prayer of the Heart - A sort of repost